Salvation Army Thrift Store FAQs
Ways to Give
- Find a donation drop-off location
- Schedule a free furniture and other donation pickup service
- Donate your vehicle
Schedule a Free Donation Pickup Find a Donation Drop-Off Location Donate Your Vehicle
When you donate goods to The Salvation Army, those items are then sold at our thrift stores and the proceeds are used to fund our Adult Rehabilitation Centers, where those struggling with drugs and alcohol find help, hope, and a second chance at life.
Commonly Donated Items
Salvation Army Thrift Store and Donation Center FAQs
Q: What can I donate to the Salvation Army Thrift Store and what isn’t allowed?
A: These vary from location to location, so please visit The Salvation Army Donation Center in your area for their policies. In general, Salvation Army Thrift store will accept gently used:
In general, the Salvation Army Thrift Stores cannot accept:
Appliances that still operate and are not built-in, such as:
- air conditioners
- washing machines/dryers.
Due to differing regulations and other considerations, not all types of vehicles are accepted at all locations, so it's best to contact us first.
For more detailed information on how to donate your vehicle, give us a call at 1-800-SA-TRUCK (1-800-728-7825) or start a vehicle donation.
Your vehicle donation will be used to help rehabilitate men and women in our Adult Rehabilitation Centers and will result in a tax deduction in accordance with IRS rules.
Online pickup scheduling for automobiles is also available in some areas of Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington.
Children’s clothing, such as
Unbroken furniture, such as
- Beds (full, queen, and king)
- Coffee tables
- End tables
- Dining room furniture
Household goods, such as
- Plates, bowls, and dishes
- Pots and pans
Men’s and women’s clothing, such as
- Suits and tuxedos
Miscellaneous items, such as
- Cell/mobile phones
- Sports equipment
- Any appliances that have mechanical difficulties, missing power cord or is rusty or dirty. No gas appliances whatsoever.
- Large console model televisions and stereos.
- Televisions older than 5 years. The date can be found on the back of the television.
- Built in appliances (Ovens, Stoves, Dishwashers, microwave etc.)
- Automobile parts Such as tires, wheels, batteries, seats, body parts and engines.
- Paint or chemicals of any kind.
- Kerosene and Gas heaters.
Q: How do I donate to my local Salvation Army Thrift Store
A: The donation process is pretty simple
- Step 1: Call your local donation center or visit its website to find out the hours of operation and what items are allowed
- Step 2: Drop off your items at the donation center near me
- Step 3: Receive a donation receipt for your taxes and rest assured that you have helped us do the most good in your community. We, and those we serve, are very grateful for your contribution.
Q: Is The Salvation Army Thrift Store near me open?
A: Each thrift store sets its own hours based on the needs and customs of their individual communities. Also, major weather events and the current COVID pandemic can temporarily affect a store’s hours. For more information, contact the Salvation Army Thrift Store near you.
Q: What are the Salvation Army thrift stores hours?
Q: How do I schedule a pickup at my home?
A: Again, the process is relatively simple and pain-free for you
- Step 1: Enter your zip code in the “schedule a pick-up” box on our home page. You will be directed to the donation details page for your local donation center.
- Step 2: Tell us what you are generously donating. You will be taken to a calendar on which you can schedule your pickup. There, you can provide special instructions to our drivers. You will then be taken to pick-up details
- Step 3: Provide your pick-up address, press enter, and know that you’ve taken a step in helping The Salvation Army do the most good in your community.
Q: How do I make a change to my donation?
A: Please go to https://dss.satruck.org/MyPickups , enter your last name and phone number, and you’ll be taken to your pick-up details. Click the arrow next to the pickup date and view the details. There, you’ll see buttons in red type allowing you to change items, change pickup date, change instructions to the driver, or cancel your pickup.
Q: How can I track my pickup?
Q: How can I change or cancel a pick-up?
Q: What does The Salvation Army do?
A: The Salvation Army has a broad mission to do the most good in our communities and throughout the nation. We do this by providing the necessary services needed by our brothers and sisters who need relief and spiritual support. Our service areas include:
Q: Are Salvation Army thrift stores for profit?
A: No. Sales from our thrift stores are used to fund our alcohol and drug rehabilitation centers
Q: Where do Salvation Army thrift stores get their inventory?
A: All of the clothing, furniture, electronics, home goods, and other items for sale at Salvation Army Thrift Stores are donated by generous supporters.
Q: How do I get my company involved?
A: The Salvation Army is blessed with partnerships with local to national companies. If you or your company is interested in joining our family of responsible corporate citizens, you can begin your journey of helping us do the most good here.
Q: How do I lodge a complaint?
A: Please use our contact form below to describe your experience whether it’s positive or negative. Someone will be in touch to get further information and help make sure you are satisfied.